Longshore Worker Killed

An International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) worker has died and another was seriously injured Wednesday in an industrial accident at a Port of Los Angeles container terminal.

The incident involving a top loader container handler happened around 7:25 a.m. at Fenix Marine Services at Pier 300, according to the port.

The injured worker was taken to Harbor UCLA Medical Center. The employees’ names have not yet been released.

“My heart goes out to the families of the victims of this tragic accident and to all the brothers and sisters of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union,” said Port Executive Director Gene Seroka. “It’s particularly tragic that this accident occurred on the day of the ILWU’s annual ‘First Blood’ event, which honors those who have lost their lives working on the waterfront.”

Los Angeles Port Police, the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, and the US Coast Guard are investigating the incident. Meanwhile, the Fenix Marine Services container terminal is currently closed.

“We are deeply saddened to report the death of an ILWU longshoreman, and the serious injury of another, following an incident that occurred at the Fenix Marine Services container terminal,” Fenix Marine Services released in a statement. “The safety and well-being of our employees is always our primary concern and an investigation is underway with local agencies to ensure a cause is identified and to prevent such incidents. Our thoughts and heartfelt condolences go out to their families, loved ones and all of our ILWU colleagues.”

“I am heartbroken to learn that we lost one of our ILWU brothers in an industrial accident at the Port of Los Angeles while another has been seriously injured,” said Los Angeles 15th District City Councilman Joe Buscaino. “Please keep their families in your prayers and respect their privacy at this time. Today is a tragic reminder of the danger that thousands of workers face every day working on our docks. My office will continue to work with the agencies investigating this accident.”

By Karen Robes Meeks