By Karen Robes Meeks
April’s cargo numbers at the nation’s busiest seaport are expected to be higher than the last month, but lower than April 2019.
The Port of Los Angeles continues to operate without disruption and is working with stakeholders to keep goods flowing, said Port of Los Angeles Executive Director Gene Seroka in a new video update released Thursday.
“With labor shifts down 17 percent from the average over the past 39 months, we recognize the hardship that many of you are feeling due to our troubled economy,” Seroka said. “Together, we will get through this crisis. In the meantime, our executive team and staff are routinely talking with manufacturing, retail and agricultural interests—both importers and exporters—to stay updated on their recovery plans and ensure that our supply chain is positioned to help them in the coming months.”
Meanwhile, efforts to procure vital medical supplies are underway, said Seroka, who serves as chief logistics officer for the City of Los Angeles since March.
Logistics Victory Los Angeles has investigated more than 700 supplier leads. This week, an agreement was struck with Honeywell to purchase 24 million N95 masks. Harbor Freight donated gloves, spray bottles for disinfectant and 9,500 face shields toward the cause.